You heard right, that’s the assertion in a new report about progress being made in Memphis to the glee of cycling enthusiasts and those who prefer two wheels and pedals over a gas-powered option. The report is entitled, “State of Bicycling 2014” from Bicycle Pedestrian Coordinator for the city of Memphis Kyle Wagenschutz. But that’s not news to us at Choose901.
I’m more excited about what the future holds and the potential Memphis holds to become a premier for anyone using a bike from around the world.
-Kyle Wagenschutz, Bicycle Pedestrian Coordinator, City of Memphis
Key stats and information from the report include:
- More than 133 miles of bike friendly infrastructure already exists
- More than 273 miles will be in place by 2016
- Memphis now has the highest rate of bike usage in Tennessee
- Bike usage has more than doubled since 2008
- While usage has increased, rate of accidents has stayed unchanged
- Funding has been secured to complete projects
We want all citizens, young and old, to be able to make the choice to bicycle and to feel safe and comfortable when doing so.
-Mayor A C Wharton, State of Bicycling 2014
This all comes after the installation began at the entrance to Overton Park on East Parkway of the Bicycle Gateway. It’s a visual representation of the great progress that has already been made and continues to be made.
You can read the entire report for yourself here.